Blasting things

Props from any movie, any genre - and we love pics!
BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

501st ID: 19881
2017 Troops:: :LL17: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :FF2: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

Blasting things

by BigFatCat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 am

Hello,

Now I've cleared down my costume job list ( yes, that TIE pilot bucket padding nearly had me in tears ) , I can start to do a little work here and there on other things to improve the accuracy of what I've done so far.

I've had a partially done A280 for my ERT for a while but the realisation that polypropylene pipes can't be glued properly eventually bit home and work stalled. I've picked this up again and now I've 22 metres of PVC pipe in 5 different diameters to work with, I'm starting to progress once more.
I removed the old barrel pipes off the gutted BB firing M4 receiver, leaving the stock with the modified butt plate. Lessons learned building the scope shroud on my A300 helped in getting a new shroud made to go over the Singlepoint scope constructing from PVC pipe, styrene sheet and plumbing cement. A similar construction technique was used for the vaguely triangular piece on the stock.
A cut down plastic test tube through a 16mm hole in the front face makes the probe bit at the front of the sight and M16 washers epoxied together create the boss around the tube. Square section styrene tube sits along the bottom edge and is bolted into U section aluminium to make the scope rail, which then bolts onto the top tube of the barrel assembly.
A piece of wooden fence post has been sanded out for the foregrip and has grooves sanded out of it. The bolts onto the underside of the main tube.
A cut down M4 magazine sandwiched between 2mm styrene pieces goes next to the magazine well, with another section of pipe and sheet U section to separate it from the foregrip.
1mm styrene sheet will make the foresight. I've got some more work done since I took this.

In a related development, I've got a 3d print of an A300 under way. A printed stock, forward receiver and scope will fit onto another BB M4 receiver and I'll make another barrel up from 40mm pipe to go onto to front. A couple of printed modules start to look recognisable already. The usual surface finishing will be needed.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

2017 Troops:: :LL17: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :FF2: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

Re: Blasting things

by BigFatCat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

So with a little extra styrene to seal up the gaps and you get the idea after a bit of shaping and sanding.

I now have 8 different diameters of pipe in stock. Putting most of the bits together starts to give a recognisable shape.

And it seems my A300 print parts will be with me on Wednesday. More toys to assemble.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Scope just needs the washers epoxying on to the probe to form the boss and maybe some 1mm styrene shapes laid over it to give it the patterning but it's nearly done.

Might get taller scope rings at some point but not crucial.

JediKnight Mik Law
Shadow Unit 77 Squadron CO (SCO)

Medals: 1
RLUK Supporter (1)
Mando Mercs Name: MandoMike/ Mik'Skaa
2016 Troops:: 11
2017 Troops:: :RLUK: :LL17: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

by JediKnight Mik Law » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Looking great so far, nice work :thumbsup
Jedi knight Mik Law "May the force be with you.... Always"
Dark Mik Law "It's not vengeance I want, Its justice! But may the force protect any who stand in my way!"
ERT Callsign; Deadmeat "REBELSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Luietennant "Maniac" Dax "You see!!! You CAN pilot a lambda class shuttle through beggers canyon!"
Willrow Hood "RUN!!!"

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 am

3d printed modules for my new A300 have arrived. There's a little prep work here and there beyond the expected surface sanding but I'm very happy with the results.
Now I just need my 9th different diameter of pipe to fit into the parts, fit the M4 receiver and make a new barrel. Clock is ticking.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Can you see what it is yet?
Last edited by BigFatCat on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragonhawkz
Event Co-Ordinator

2016 Troops:: 17
2017 Troops:: :RLUK: :RLUK: :SWCO17: :RLUK: :LL17: : :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

by dragonhawkz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 am

Cool

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

Cosmetically, not a lot changed over the weekend but I've now cemented and bolted the barrel assembly and scope rail onto the receiver. The scope shroud is now also bolted onto the drilled out rail. The main tube, upper tube and barrel were a unified assembly, bolted together before mating with the receiver. All the pointy bits line up down the barrel, pretty much.

In the process I dropped the pew pew onto the wooden floor which aged me somewhat before I opened my eyes to survey the damage. Luckily only the flash hider behind the scope had escaped its superglue bond and made for freedom. It was apprehended, sanded down and cemented properly into place.

Slightly countersunk the bolts for the foregrip into the upper tube which has a bit of dowel inside to reinforce it.

The cut down, fake magazine ahead of the mag well was sanded to fit against the bottom of the barrel and cemented in place. Styrene sheet side plates, three layers of 2mm thick sheet, will be epoxied onto this and hopefully have the two fat horizontal channels sanded into them. The right hand side plate is assembled and needs trimming. The left hand side needs two more plates cutting out, cementing, trimming and the channels sanded into them.

There's a little filling needed on the stock shroud and between the upper tube and receiver.

The bulk of the tasks remaining are to complete to magazine side plates and make the spacer between those and the foregrip, then make and fit the foresight. A few bolts need cutting down and maybe some layered sheet decor on the shrouds will see the construction finished. That would leave any surface finishing to be done before priming, then spraying black, drybrushing and sealing in satin lacquer.

Doubt I'll finish it for Saturday.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am

Side plates are completed with 2 channels of sorts ground into them. Foregrip spacer assembled and needs cover strips over the joints on the inside to reinforce. Should get both those parts epoxied in place tonight.

Need to make a blanking plate over the end of the main tube where the barrel protrudes and get that foresight done to complete the structural side of things.

Maybe Saturday after all if I shortcut the paint process and leave the cosmetic additions until another time.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:11 am

Side plates and spacer glued in place last night. Still the foresight and blanking plate to fit.
It's looking pretty much as it should now. Image

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Blanking plate on main tube fitted and will be rounded off tomorrow.
1.5mm styrene sheet curved around a heated 16mm aluminium tube made the foresight. Some 2mm styrene sheet cemented between the vertical vanes will see that finished.
Some bolts to trim down then it's prime and paint. Image

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:36 am

Just about enough done to bring it along to Bromley today. Image

JediKnight Mik Law

RLUK Supporter (1)

by JediKnight Mik Law » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am

Absolutely awesome work :thumbsup and a great WIP too. Nice to see more A280s coming out :D

Just found a new smiley that seems very apt bravo
Dark Mik Law "It's not vengeance I want, Its justice! But may the force protect any who stand in my way!"
Luietennant "Maniac" Dax "You see!!! You CAN pilot a lambda class shuttle through beggers canyon!"
Willrow Hood "RUN!!!"

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

Ay lurves ma noo raffle. It's perty.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 pm

3d printed structural modules sanded with 3 grades to remove the worst of the printing artefacts. M16 receiver gutted and will be bored out to fit the 21mm pipe spine.
Can't be fussed to do the scope and side greebs yet. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JediKnight Mik Law

RLUK Supporter (1)

by JediKnight Mik Law » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:32 pm

He's a non stop blaster making machine!!!
Willrow Hood "RUN!!!"

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:09 am

Sawed off a couple of pieces of 3/4" pipe to fit inside the stock and foregrip sections. Here comes the maths bit. Not all measurements are exact and some variation in manufacturing happens.

3d prints have a 28mm diameter hole through them to enable a pipe spine to reinforce them. PVC pipe doesn't come in a variety with that external diameter so the 3/4" stuff I have is 26.7mm external diameter. Using a some 0.75mm styrene sheet wrapped around the pipe as a sleeve makes for a good fit allowing a securely cemented joint.

3/4" pipe has an internal diameter of 21.7mm. This becomes relevant soon.

I could have used 28mm OD aluminium tube but that's too wide to fit into the M16 receiver. This is bad. I have some PVC overflow pipe with 21.5mm OD. This fits inside the receiver with a little hollowing out. This is good.

3/4" pipe then fits over the overflow pipe as the ID and OD are quite close. 21.7 ID fits over the 21.5 OD and allows cementing. Yay. Stock and foregrip sections can be slid onto the overflow pipe spine to make a unified structure.

The 43mm OD barrel then needs to be drilled with vent holes and fitted onto the overflow spine with some internal packing. A piece of ABS rod trimmed to fit into the main barrel makes a muzzle with a small section of 16mm OD pipe making the inner barrel, slid back into the overflow spine. I'll save that for the next episode.

Any questions? Beyond why am I doing this?

Dangams
Britannia Temple Master

TFA Premiere (1)
2016 Troops:: 18
2017 Troops:: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :FF2: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

by Dangams » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:16 pm

BigFatCat wrote:Any questions? Beyond why am I doing this?

Only one. Are we going to need to get you a patch with the BlasTech logo? :P

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm

That's kind of cool.

JediKnight Mik Law

RLUK Supporter (1)

by JediKnight Mik Law » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:16 pm

loving the the wip and thought process in this :thumbsup
Willrow Hood "RUN!!!"

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 am

Last night in muppet labs...

1.5mm styrene sleeves filled the gap twixt 3/4" pipe and internal prints' bore admirably. A little too admirably as it makes it awkward to use a viscous glue or cement and get it in place quickly to set. Cementing the sleeve inside the print first, letting it set and then cementing the 3/4" pipe inside the sleeve makes for a surprisingly strong assembly. Stupidly light too.

Stock assembly is done, with a little superglue beading on the joints to reinforce them.

Removed the plastic boss from the front of the receiver and ground it so it fits inside the recess on the relevant print. Had to take off the front lip on the mag well so it sits flush when all the faces are squared off. Quite a lot of gaps around the receiver and print though so they need to be filled when finally assembled. You can get the matching 3d printed receiver that fits nicely so balance that against the cost of the BB M16 with the moving trigger and safety. Of course, on mine there's no firing mechanism inside and the charging handle is disconnected and immobilised.

Receiver needs to be modified to accept the 21.5mm OD overflow spine internally so the stock and foregrips can be slid in place. The barrel comes after that. Need to smooth up the scope and maybe fit a glass lens if I still have one the correct diameter.

Most of the chemically molten black styrene slurry has come off my hands too.

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

No blaster progress last night.

Had a new 3d printed helmet strap camera to replace the one I scratchbuilt. Sanded the surface and milled out the camera tube a bit. Primed and sprayed black and epoxied in a glass lens into the camera tube. Probably give it a light dry brush and seal it tonight. Gently oversprayed with black the silver painted biker scout greeblie for my Endor backpack too.

My fabric helmet covered looked too light and clean to me. I boiled the kettle and found some decent (for instant) coffee in the cupboard and brewed a strong cup. I then got a paintbrush from the DIY department in the garage and painted the fabric cover with the coffee. Not going to drink that instant muck. Left to dry overnight. It's a far better colour now and may yet need another shot of espresso in the future.

thebrighton
Active Rebel Legion Member

501st ID: 11968
2017 Troops:: :RLUK: :RLUK: :LL17: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

by thebrighton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:22 am

In an attempt to hijack your thread Geoff I've now finished my A280 having managed to build it one handed.
Cleared costumes:
Tusken Raider
Bantha Rider
Rebel Fleet Trooper
X-Wing Pilot
Endor Commando

BigFatCat
Elstree PR Team

by BigFatCat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:32 am

Nice. They're reasonably similar so I'm happy how mine is turning out.

thebrighton
Active Rebel Legion Member

501st ID: 11968
2017 Troops:: :RLUK: :RLUK: :LL17: :RLUK: :RLUK: :RLUK:

by thebrighton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:00 pm

It weighs a bleeding ton though ;-)
Cleared costumes:
Tusken Raider
Bantha Rider
Rebel Fleet Trooper
X-Wing Pilot
Endor Commando

Next

Return to Show us your props (or chat about them)